July 30, 2004

Keeping America's Capital Safe...From Candy!

Ah, the land of freedom and liberty! As long as you don't want candy in Washington's metro....

I ride the D.C. Metro everyday. Instead of arresting a woman for finishing a candy bar, how about arresting the guys who physically shove you to get into or off of the Metro?

For simple assault in D.C. under DC ST § 22-404, "Whoever unlawfully assaults, or threatens another in a menacing manner, shall be fined not more than $1,000 or be imprisoned not more than 180 days, or both."

Let's enforce that one for a while.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Malcontent said...

Well, when shoved, I do shove back. (In one instance, I, um....assisted someone out of the car.) However, I didn't choose my example for my own personal comfort (if that were the case, I would have suggested a statutory scheme that insisted on live music, coffee service and free massages on the cars).

Among those who I have seen get steamrolled on the Metro: blind folks, very elderly folks, and children. It is unnecessary and really places some people at physical risk.

I am, however, a weenie.

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I agree we don't want blind people being shoved by folks on the Metro. That's why the NRA needs to aggressively promote handgun ownership amongst the blind. Then those rude shovers will be too scared to mess with the blind folks. By the way, how does a blind person know if they're carrying a concealed weapon? I mean, if you can't see, how do you know that you've stashed your pistol somewhere that it's not visible to other people? Just wondering.

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home