September 21, 2004

The kitchen opens early.

OK, after a failure to engage in vigorous blogging over the past week or so, The Malcontent really felt a need to bring vital sustenance to the blogosphere. Thus, the wednesday food section on Tuesday.

Discovery of the week: Lowrey's microwavable pork rinds.

The bag looks like microwave popcorn, but inside it's all pig.

After singing the praises of Fergus Henderson, I really didn't think I could get away with avoiding trying this product (after chancing upon it at our local Big Box Retail store--in its Hot and Spicy formulation). Apparently Atkins fever has skyrocketed the popularity of low-carb snacks like beef jerky and pork rinds. Here, the innovation is hot pork rinds, right from your microwave, whenever you want. (I love that the package says chicharrones on it.)

Having had pork rinds fried to order several years back at a folklife festival, I at least had a basis for comparison (plus a few dozen bags from the Qwik-E-Marts over the course of a lifetime). I assumed this would be a foul, greasy terrifying mess--rancidity was to be my watchword. The product isn't refrigerated, not canned, not even vacuum-sealed.

Verdict: they are terrific. Crunchy, light, porky, not greasy in the slightest. There is a great bacon-y smell. Not actually very spicy, but good enough. You microwave them for a couple of minutes.

In my case, they continued to make crackling and popping sounds for at least 10 minutes after I dumped them out of their (very hot) bag. I found this to be a very rewarding part of the experience. At 88 cents a bag, it's filthy food fun on a budget.

Only side effect: I have suddenly developed a desire to see NASCAR.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home